Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Posts From the Hospital

December 15, 2015

I'm in the hospital. They let you check in the night before which was great, because my surgery is a 7 and getting here in the morning would have been a nightmare. Everyone is really nice and I have great confidence in my doctor and the staff here. I can't believe this is really happening. It's been so long since I've been able to walk. I'll need to get the left hip done before I can actually walk, but this is one step closer. So weird that when I leave here I'll have a new hip and a big bone to make soup with. I'll post after I get back to the room. Thank you for all the support and kind words. Please share this so I can keep everyone up to date.

December 16, 2015

It's alive. It's alive! The doctor said he took the biggest bone shard he'd ever seen out of my hip. So I'm setting records here. Thank you for all the kind thoughts.

 

December 16, 2015

Well I stood up and walked 5 feet with the help of two people holding me up and a walker. It only took me about 15 minutes! So I'm getting faster already! 

 

December 17, 2015

This is my breathing exerciser it measures the volume of my breath. I have to take 10 deep breaths an hour through it to prevent pneumonia. It is harder than it sounds because it's got a float gauge that you have to pull up and keep between the lines, then you have to draw the piston up to your goal mark which is kind of hard to do hunched over in a bed, but it opens up those little sacks in your lung and keep fluid from building up in you lungs. 



I walked, with a walker and great concentration 300 feet this morning. I only had to do 200 to get out of here by tomorrow. So Now I've just got to get up and down some stairs by tomorrow and I can go home tomorrow night. The pain has reduced significantly from yesterday. They told me it would, but I was in so much pain yesterday that I didn't believe one day could make that much difference, but it did. I'm still in a lot of pain, but compared to yesterday it's a whole different world. Just getting out of bed and going 2 feet to a chair and sitting down yesterday turned me into a girly man. I was screaming through most of the process. Today only grunts and chewed lips. The fact that I've been completely supporting my weight for years with canes and walkers has given me a leg up for rehab, because I don't have any trouble holding myself up. Thank you, to everyone, for the kind and supporting comments they have really kept my spirits up. I'm going to invite everyone over for some very special soup when I get home. ;o)

December 18, 2015

I just had my first shower since Tuesday morning which felt really great except I was feeling queasy from doing my PT and climbing the stairs. Fortunately there was a toilet with hand rails right outside the shower, because I threw up like a college freshman in pledge week, the minute I stepped out of the shower. Now that I've done stairs and made potty, I'm officially cut loose day early. Sandra is on here way to get me and I even saved her my cake from lunch which I'm especially happy about at this point ;o) Now I've got three weeks in home PT 3 times a week. Though I'll be doing the exercises every day. 



A big thank you to everyone that encouraged me along the way it has been an emotional journey and there is still quite a ways to go. Now I just have to do it all over again in six weeks. If I wave to you from the window of the hotel and don't invite you in, please don't be offended. We have an inside cat, that would mean my death if I let out, and I'm not moving fast enough to keep her in, if I open the door. ;o) Please share this so everyone gets the word, Mama, I'm heading home. I'm finally getting what I wanted for Christmas for the last six years. Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Peace and love to all.

After I got home

December 24, 2015


Hello from recovery hall. I'm still doing well, just a lot more tired than I thought I'd be. I want to wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS! I got what I wanted, to start my hip replacements. And Sandra said she got what she wanted, I didn't die. She said she would kill me, if I died. A threat I took very seriously and so I made sure to live.



01/16/15


Last night I had a dream that I had gotten through my second surgery and I was going all around town showing all my friends, that only know me as being crippled, that I could walk. It felt like I was flying. Then when I woke up and as with other dreams where I have been able to walk, I believed for a moment that I could walk. Then I realized it was just a dream and I was momentarily crestfallen. But I did not fall into my usual despair, because for the first time since I started having dreams about being able to walk, I knew it was a dream that could come true and soon. 

That morning, when I was alone in the hallway, I picked up my canes and willed my self to walk and I took three steps with each leg. Then I went in the living room and showed Sandra I could take three steps, something I haven't been able to do in years. With no pain in my new right hip, I could take everything my left hip had to dish out and I knew if the left was like the right I would be able to walk. I know from the weakness in my legs that it won't be far to start, but I know that now instead of getting worse every day, as it's been for the last ten years, I will be getting better every day and that's a future I can happily look forward to. New Left hip coming in two weeks and three days.
 
Thank you very much to all of you that have been so supportive, it really has helped me push through.
Please share, because I haven't been posting much with all that's been going on, and facebook doesn't put you out much when you don't play.

Finally here's a video about how my new hip feels.



I'm still learning how to do the blog and embedding videos from YouTube is a pain and they don't allow a full size load here, so if you would like to see this video full size, follow this link.

 


 


 


 








No comments:

Post a Comment