Monday, January 26, 2015

012315 History Snip-it - King Abdulaziz, the First King of Saudi Arabia














With the recent death of King Abdullah, of Saudi Arabia, I did something a lot of people do and clicked his article in Wikipieda. I started following the predecessor links back until I got to the first king of Saudi Arabia. It was King Abdulaziz who Reigned as King of Saudi Arabia, from 14 August 1932 to 9 November 1953. Of all the kings that have reined since, he looks the most like an Arab King. You can see the history of the Arab people in his eyes. It was a little amazing to have a line of royalty be so short, most of the time titles like these lines go back centuries. So before 1932, it was still Arabia, wild and free, Unmolested by modern life. I don't have any illusions that it was an perfect life. A brutal and harsh life to be sure, but also one with a purity that is so absent from our world now. Certainly the role of a woman at that time, was nothing to cheer about, but that's still true in modern Saudi Arabi and I wonder if in the desert things we're actually better for women than in modern cities, where they have to deal with the clash of culture.

Some thing I found interesting about King Abulaziz, was that his predecessor was himself as King of Nejd and Hejaz who reined as Himself from 8 January 1926 to 23 September 1932. Which would mean, if these dates are correct that from 14 August 1932 to the 23rd of September 1932, he was two people. Was he putting off dropping the former title, lamenting, “I'm going to miss being King of Nejd and Hejaz.” Heavy sigh. “Now I'm going to be King of Saudi Arabia, it's going to be nothing but work, work, work, talk, talk, talk. No more riding horses across the desert, sleeping under the perfect sky with every star so close their whispers brush you with their breath at while you're sleeping, taking your dreams to the farthest reaches of the heavens. I guess anyone would have had a hard time giving up that lifestyle.

I have a real back log of blog entries, because it's a new frontier to me. I can't get the formatting the way I want and as I said in my original description, my posts are going to be about many a splendid thing and I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. To end further delays I'm posting the last one I wrote. Hopefully I'll figure out the formatting as I go along. I have a real interest in history, so you will occasionally see a history snip-it like this one. 

Source Wikipedia KingAbdulaziz 1st King of Saudi Arabia






 


















No comments:

Post a Comment